I will use this page to list data sources that I have looked up in the past, and have found useful.
US Housing data
- BuildFax : based on the number of properties pulling residential construction permits (not adjusted by value).
- NAHB Remodeling Index
- CoreLogic : housing report, fraud reports, home price index, commercial market monitor, shadow inventory, positive and negative equity reports.
- Housing Pulse Distressed Property Index
- S&P Case Shiller Price Index
- REO Inventory: Usually quoted as combined REO (Real Estate Owned) inventory for Fannie, Freddie and the FHA. This is just a portion of the total REO inventory. Private label securities and banks and thrifts also hold a substantial number of REOs.
- Lender Processing Services Mortgage Monitor
- American Institute of Architects ‘Architecture Billings Index’ : “The ABI serves as a leading economic indicator of commercial real estate that leads nonresidential construction activity by approximately 9-12 months. The indexes are developed from the monthly Work-on-the-Boards survey panel”
US Consumer Confidence
- Rasmussen Report : calculated daily
- UMich Consumer Confidence
- The Conference Board consumer confidence index
- Core Capex: this is an indicator of business capital spending is the non-defense capital goods ex-aircraft, and is reported as a part of release of durable goods orders and shipments. This can be more important than housing because housing is 2% of GDP, whereas business capex represents 7% of the economy.